Monday, January 26, 2009

Malaga Spain





Malaga is a little run down and ignored in parts. There is construction at almost every turn, which is not so appealing. This is the first European city where I have felt that areas other than the old part are more beautiful, because much of the old part has been neglected, and is now going through major reconstruction. I am sure it will be lovely when finished, but right now the noise, dust and smell make it less than enchanting, and rather shabby.
Tourism is big in Malaga and even this time of year in the off-season (everyone is donning winter coats not swimsuits) there are plenty of tourists – I hate to think of it during high season with the streets and beaches overflowing.
While I have often sneered at the open-topped, double-decker tour buses in New York City, I found myself on the upper deck of Malaga’s and loving it. It is very useful when you have a lot of ground to cover and not much time, plus you get to be outside (if you choose the open-air seating) instead of cooped up in a vehicle.
The natural food scene in Malaga is virtually non-existent. The stores I found were either miniscule or had closed. I did find a few vegetarian and natural restaurants, but only two were decent. There are some towns within 20-60 km of Malaga that seem to be more hip to the health food scene and they have much better quality options. Malaga seems to have more Esoteric stores than health food stores – maybe a result of the centuries of swaying dominant religions.
My favorite eatery was La Teteria, a happening spot a few doors away from the Picasso Museum. Here you can have all sorts of teas, coffees, and other delightful beverages, as well as crepes. Tonight I had a crepe (yes it was made of wheat – I had two bites and then just ate the innards) made with Manchego cheese (Spanish cheese made from sheep milk), peppers, tomatoes and herbs – hmmm yum!
Off to Nerja, an old village on the coast about 60 km east of Malaga and then onto Granada! We’ll see if they eat more naturally there.

Did I mention the water and the beaches? THAT is why people come to Malaga - turquoise, sandy, and beautiful.

No comments: